Government & Politics

City Council Pushback Grows Over Proposed $1M+ Cut to Honolulu’s Office of Economic Revitalization

Honolulu City Council members are raising red flags over Mayor Rick Blangiardi’s proposed $1.2 million cut to the Office of Economic Revitalization in the fiscal year 2027 budget, sparking debate about the city’s commitment to small business support during ongoing economic recovery.

The proposed reduction would slash the office’s budget from $3.8 million to $2.6 million, potentially impacting programs that have become lifelines for local entrepreneurs and small businesses across Oahu. The cuts come as the office has expanded its mission to include artificial intelligence workforce training initiatives alongside traditional economic development programs.

Council Chair Tommy Waters expressed concern during last week’s budget hearings, questioning whether now is the right time to scale back economic support. “We’re still seeing small businesses in Chinatown, Kalihi, and other communities struggling to get back on their feet,” Waters said. “Cutting over a million dollars from the one office specifically designed to help them seems counterproductive.”

The Office of Economic Revitalization, established in 2019, has become a key player in Honolulu’s post-pandemic recovery efforts. The office oversees the city’s small business grant programs, coordinates with the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation on transit-oriented development, and recently launched pilot programs to train local workers in AI and digital skills.

Programs at Risk

The proposed cuts could affect several popular programs, including the Small Business Relief and Recovery Program, which has distributed over $15 million to local businesses since 2020. The office also manages the Neighborhood Business District Program, which has helped revitalize commercial corridors from Wahiawa to Hawaii Kai.

Most concerning to some council members is the potential impact on the newly launched AI Workforce Development Initiative, a partnership with the University of Hawaii that aims to prepare local workers for emerging technology jobs. The program has already enrolled 200 participants across its first two cohorts.

Budget Director Nelson Koyanagi defended the cuts during Tuesday’s hearing, citing the need to balance citywide priorities amid rising operational costs. “While we recognize the value of economic development programs, we must also address critical infrastructure needs and public safety concerns,” Koyanagi said.

However, small business advocates argue the timing couldn’t be worse. Downtown Honolulu still shows signs of pandemic-era struggles, with commercial vacancy rates remaining elevated compared to pre-2020 levels. Many small businesses in neighborhoods like Kaimuki and Kapahulu are just beginning to see foot traffic return to normal levels.

Council Opposition Building

Council members Andria Tupola and Calvin Say have already signaled their intention to restore at least partial funding during budget deliberations. Tupola, who chairs the Budget Committee, noted that economic development often provides long-term returns that justify the initial investment.

“We’re talking about programs that help create jobs and generate tax revenue,” Tupola said. “Cutting them to save money in the short term doesn’t make fiscal sense if it hurts our economic growth.”

The Hawaii Small Business Administration has also weighed in, with District Director Maria Santos calling the proposed cuts “shortsighted” in a letter to the council. Santos pointed to data showing that small businesses supported by city programs have higher survival rates and create more local jobs than those without assistance.

Local entrepreneur Jennifer Chang, who received city assistance to open her Pearl City café in 2022, said the support was crucial during her business’s early months. “The mentorship and financial guidance from the city office made the difference between success and failure,” Chang said. “Other small business owners deserve that same chance.”

What’s Next

The council will continue budget hearings through the end of May, with a final vote expected in early June. Several council members have indicated they plan to propose amendments to restore economic development funding, potentially by reallocating money from other departments or identifying new revenue sources.

The debate reflects broader questions about Honolulu’s economic priorities as the city continues its recovery from the pandemic’s economic impacts. With tourism rebounding but still below pre-2020 levels, many see small business development as crucial to diversifying Oahu’s economy.

For Honolulu’s small business community, the outcome could determine whether the city maintains its recent momentum in economic development or pulls back just as entrepreneurs and local workers need support most. The council’s final decision will signal whether Honolulu sees economic revitalization as an essential investment or an expendable luxury.

James Kealoha

James is a Honolulu native covering city and state government, policy, and politics. He tracks council meetings, legislative sessions, and the decisions shaping Oahu's future.